Making The Transition From Selling on eBay to Selling on Amazon

Friday 11 February 2011

Sepia Saturday 61: Vintage Picturegoer magazine, c.1945

I was delighted earlier this week to have stumbled across a handful of Picturegoer magazines from the early to mid 1940's, and thought they would make a good contribution to a Sepia Saturday posting. Issued every other Thursday at the princely sum of three pence, the magazine featured review on all the latest films, celebrity gossip, readers' letters, and of course some fantastic adverts. The issue I've chosen to share here is the one from 1st September 1945, featuring Arturo de Cordova and Betty Hutton on the cover.

Front cover of Picturegoer, 1st September 1945

Although the image on the front cover is striking, the adverts on the back cover are fantastic. My favourite is the one in the top left for 'Odo-ro-no', underarm deodorant, which comes in two strengths ... 'regular' which lasts for 7 days, and 'instant' which lasts for 3 days.

Back cover of Picturegoes, 1st September 1945

More vintage magazines on my web site ... and don't forget to also check out my vintage postcard blog and my in search of space blog

12 comments:

  1. Fascinating to think they were almost encouraging people to not bathe for 7 days. Quite a fun find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that! Lots of fun, especially Odo-ro-no. All I could picture is someone screaming "Odor? Oh, no!!!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw betty hutton interviewed recently. she sure had an interesting life. Gave up the film business and got into religion.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I think I may have to look up Betty Hutton now. If I can get 7-day deodorant, can I also get 7-day toothpaste and 7-day socks etc.? I really like this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is something so evocative about magazines from this period. I managed to buy up a job lot of Picture Posts some time ago and was equally fascinated by many of the adverts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vaguely remember Betty Hutton movies. Was not familiar with these magazines but they do reflect a sepia time and the ads are amazing...a deodorant that lasts 7 or 3 dsys! Assume folks did not shower daily! :) Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy old time magazines and this is one great find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They probably had to change the 30 day to seven day due to complaints about false advertising. I look forward to browsing through more of your Picturegoer's!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ads are really interesting. I guess, because they're from England, none of the products are familiar to me. Well, that and maybe because I wasn't alive yet in 1945.... Fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maybe the 7 day deoderant still worked after a bath? Or perhaps it was in the days when Sunday was bath day... YUK :-) Jo

    ReplyDelete
  11. This really is an historical oldie but goodie. It was fun to see.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails